1 1/2 cups Lundberg black pearl rice
2 tbsp ghee, pasture butter or avocado oil
1/3 cup shallots/diced - sourced from The Farm Cart
3 cloves garlic/diced
1/2 cup white wine
6 1/2 cups chicken stock or veggie stock
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup finely shredded Organic Pastures cheddar
1. Bring broth to a steady simmer in a medium sauce pan.
2. Melt ghee in a large saute pan over medium low heat, add diced shallots and cook until they begin to become translucent.
3. Add diced garlic and black rice to the pan, stirring/toasted the rice for 3 minutes.
4. Pour the white wine into the pan slowly, stir ever minute or so until the wine has reduced.
5. Sprinkle the paprika, salt and pepper evenly over the rice, stir to mix in.
6. Add simmering broth a ladle at a time, stirring the rice every couple minutes until the broth reduces. Repeat this process until all broth has been added and the rice is al dente. Takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on how your stove cooks.
7. Turn off heat, sprinkle cheese over rise and stir to mix in.
- If you choose not to add the cheese you may need more salt added
- My stove cooks really hot/fast so I actually had the heat on low. You're looking for enough heat to create a mild sizzle when the liquid is added but not too much that you see it sticking or burning on the bottom of the pan.
- I love using cast iron enamel cookware for risotto